Having had the girls over for a girly evening (complete with chocolate and raspberry brownies, lemon polenta cake, gossip and Coyote Ugly!), they left at about 11.00 on Sunday morning and I realised that I was out for a late lunch for a friend’s birthday, so I should whip up something quick and tasty as a small gift.
I didn’t have the time or energy to make anything too extravagant, so when I found orange-flavoured dark chocolate in the cupboard, I decided that I could make some quick and delicious chocolate orange cookies. These cookies are usually made with 450g of dark chocolate, so it was easy to replace with the orange-flavoured dark chocolate. I only had 300g of this, so I added 100g milk chocolate and 50g of chopped up orange matchmakers! You could probably also make with all orange-flavoured milk chocolate (but they may be a little too sweet), or all dark chocolate, but I think the mix worked particularly well. I also replaced the vanilla extract in the original recipe with the zest of an orange.
I’ve added a rest stage for the cookie mixture into my method below. I didn’t do this when I made these cookies and, as you can see from the picture, they spread out too much and so were a bit thin (but still delicious!). I didn’t fit all of the mixture onto my baking trays, so had to do a second batch (of 3) once the first were cooked. This batch stayed much thicker and so I have added the rest stage in!
Overall, I’m not generally a big chocolate fan, but these are absolutely delicious! Rich, chewy, chocolatey, with a nice fresh orangey zing! They’d make fantastic Christmas presents. EHH loved these and so I’ll definitely be making these again.
Chocolate orange cookies
(makes 12-14 large cookies)
- 50g butter
- 350g orange flavoured dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 170g soft light brown sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 85g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, the milk chocolate and half of the orange-flavoured dark chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir gently until the chocolate and butter are melted and combined.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and orange zest in a bowl until frothy.
- Pour in the chocolate mixture, beating on a slow speed until combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl.
- In three additions, stir the chocolate mixture into the flour.
- Stir in the remaining chocolate.
- Leave for 20-30 minutes to allow the mixture to firm up a bit.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- Dollop the cookie mixture onto the two prepared baking trays, allowing plenty of room between each, as the cookies will spread.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until the top of the cookies start to crack, the sides of the cookies are firm but the centre still fairly squidgy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.